Shih Tzu the name means Little Lion, but there is nothing ferocious aggressiveness about this Breed. The Shih Tzu is a lover, not a hunter. Breed anything to be a companion. The Shih Tzu is an very affectionate, outgoing housedog, happy. Who loves more to follow his people from room to room. In recently, however, owners have started taking the Shih Tzu off their laps and into dog sports and training him for obedience, rally, and ability to move easily to competition.
Infromation About Shih Tzu Breed :
Life span: 10 – 16 years
Temperament: Lively, Outgoing, Playful, Alert, Gentle, Loyal.
Height: Female: 20 – 28 cm (Adult, At the withers), Male: 20 – 28 cm (Adult, At the withers)
Colors: Black, Dark Brown, Gold, White, Liver & White, Brindle, Light Brown, Blue, Black & White, Liver
Without any regular brushing and combing, The Shih Tzus become a matted mess. If you can’t commit to the brushing, you have to commit to frequent trimming or clipping to keep their coat short. Personally I love the sheared cut it requires minimal brushing and makes a Shih Tzu look like a never changing puppy.
Steps to Take Care of Shih Tzu ( As He Need Special Care ) :
- His respiratory system is very compressed, so don’t smoke near him, don’t use any chemical cleaning products to clean the floor and keep him away from allergenic pollen and freshly cutted grass.
- Make sure your veterinary surgeon uses only the most modern anesthetics (such as isoflurane) and insist on a heart and blood pressure monitor. Many veterinary surgeon are NOT careful enough when anesthetizing the short-faced breeds.
- In a hot or humid weather, try to minimize his outdoor activity and keep him in an airconditioned room. Actually Short-faced dogs have a high risk of heatstroke because they can’t pant vigorously enough to lower their body heat.
- Walk him in a Y-shaped harness that belt around his chest, not at his throat. Because a collar puts pressure on his windpipe and makes it very harder for him to take breathe.
- Wash & dry the folds of skin on his face after every meal. Otherwise it will be very tangled.
Shih Tzu Playing With Kids :
- Housebreaking: Like most of the small breeds, Shih Tzus have a small bladder that takes a long time to develop to the point where they can “control” their urine for more than a short time.
- Stubbornness: Most Shih Tzus are sweet-natured, yet also moderately stubborn and manipulative. Food is a great motivator with this Shih Tzus, but if you give too much you’ll end up with a fatty Shih Tzu who listens to you only when you have a treat in your hand. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say.
- Shedding: Shih Tzus have a double coat (an outer coat plus a wooly insultating undercoat). Both of these coats SHED, because every hair on a dog has a life cycle where it lives, dies, and falls out, to be replaced by a new one growing up from below. (Just like in people.) When a Shih Tzu’s coat is left long, most of the shedding hairs get caught in the long coat and instead of falling out on your floor, get pulled out when you brush your Shih Tzu. If you clip your Shih Tzu into a shorthaired dog, now there is no longer coat to catch the shedding hair, so it will fall unimpeded onto the floor, furniture, clothing, etc. So a long coat has the advantage of making your Shih Tzu appear to shed less, while a short coat has the advantage of being easier to brush and staying cleaner. It’s a trade-off.
- Health : Many Shih Tzus live a long life, but unfortunately they may suffer from serious liver & Kidney diseases, Eyes problem, knee joint problems, itchy skin allergies, and many more
You Can Follow The Tips to Take Care Of Your Dog :
Vaccination Schedule :